Sunday, December 3, 2017

Theater Overview

For those new to my posts, I want to provide this little background around my theater reviews.  I have lived in DC for 24 years now.  And in the past I have occassionally attended a play or musical.  Two years ago I went to five and enjoyed all of them.  Then I thought, well, what do I really know about theater in the DMV?  Not much.  So I investigated the companies and the offerings for the 2016-2017 season and deigned that season "My Year of Living Theatrically" with a grand intention of seeing as much theater in as many venues as I could afford.  The result was about 50 shows at over 20 companies.
For the record I saw:

ARENA STAGE productions of:
"Little Foxes"
"A Year of Magical Thinking"
"Moby Dick"
"Carousel"
"Watch on the Rhine"
"A Raisin in the Sun"

CONSTELLATION THEATRE productions of:
"Urinetown"
"Peter and the Starcatcher"
"Arabian Nights"

EVERYMAN THEATRE productions of:
"Dot"
"Los Otros"

FOLGER THEATRE productions of:
"Sense and Sensibility"
"Timon of Athens"

FORD's THEATRE productions of:
"Come Away From"
"Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf"
"Ragtime"

GALA HISPANIC THEATRE production of:
"Cervantes: El Ultimo Quixote"

KEEGAN THEATRE productions of:
"An Irish Carol"
"When We Were Young and Unafraid"

KENNEDY CENTER productions of:
"Into the Woods"
"Berlioz Requiem"

METRO STAGE production of:
"The Gin Game"

MOSAIC THEATRE productions of:
"Hooded, OR Being Black for Dummies"
"Blood Knot"

OLNEY THEATRE CENTER productions of:
"Sweeney Todd"
"Proof"
"My Fair Lady"

ROUND HOUSE THEATRE productions of:
"Angels in America: Millennium Approaches"
"Angels in America: Perestroika"
"Caroline, Or Change"
"Or,"

SHAKESPEARE THEATRE COMPANY productions of:
"Romeo and Juliet"
"The Secret Garden"

SIGNATURE THEATRE productions of:
"Silver Bells"
"Titanic"
"Mrs. Miller Does Her Thing"
"Midwestern Gothic"
"Jesus Christ Superstar"

STUDIO THEATRE production of:
"Straight White Men"

SYNETIC THEATRE production of:
"The Hunchback of Notre Dame"

THEATRE J production of:
"Brighton Beach Memoirs"

UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND DRAMA DEPARTMENT production of:
"The Importance of Being Ernest"

VIRGINIA STAGE COMPANY production of:
"The Wiz"

WASHINGTON NATIONAL OPERA production of:
"Champion"

WOOLY MAMMOTH THEATRE production of:
"Pike St."

No comments:

Post a Comment