Friday, December 8, 2017

Holiday Project

A longtime friend of mine asked me back in October if I knew of anyone who could create a Christmas stocking for he and his husband's niece.  I thought about it and then I offered.  He wanted it to be quilted, and other than that gave me complete freedom in terms of design.

His niece is on 18 months old, but he did say that he hoped it would be a keepsake.  So I found this large print fabric that I loved, but there was a problem.  It was too large to fit on the size of the stocking.  I gave it some thought, and decided to still use it, but to reassemble some of its components with appliqué techniques.  What I loved about it most was that it depicted so many winter animals.  I just thought how much children love to contemplate animals.

He also wanted me to embroider her name on it, but I don't have a fancy sewing machine, and doing that by hand is a little tricky for me.  My solution?  Frabic paint.  He seemed pleased with the final result.  I thought it turned out well.

The appliqué process: first the snow owl and the arctic hare gets lifted over part of the owl.
 This the Polar Bear.
 And finally the Arctic Fox

 The back side matters two and gave me the opportunity to include a second polar bear and an arctic wolf!

No comments:

Post a Comment