Monday, September 10, 2018

Smithsonian National Zoo #6: Six Random Views from the Reptile House

I have a real affinity for herpetariums.  It began at the Philadelphia Zoo and now it just follows me whenever I visit any zoo.  Among the nicest I have seen are Philadelphia's, but also Virginia Zoo's and the Smithsonian National Zoo's.  Denver Zoo has one that is mixed with a range of other animals including tropical jungle mammals and a small section of aquarium.  And among small zoos I've visited, I do really like the Lehigh Valley Zoo's in eastern Pennsylvania.

Here are a random smattering of six of the dozens of species at the Smithsonian National Zoo's Reptile House.  In order of appearance they are: Ridgetail Monitor (Varanus acanthurus), Philippine Crocodile (Crocodylus mindorensis), Caiman Lizard (Dracaena guianensis), Green Crested Basilisk (Basiliscus plumifrons), Timor Python (Python timorensis), and Sambava Tomato Frog (Dyscophus guineti).
Ridgetail Monitor 
 Philippine Crocodile
 Caiman Lizard
 Green Crested Basilisk
 Timor Python
 Sambava Tomato Frog







No comments:

Post a Comment