The ravages of Avian Flu have really compounded the loss of bird numbers. It wasn't that many years ago when I could count on seeing a dozen species of birds in a morning/early afternoon of reading and hanging out on my deck. This past weekend I only saw for, and honesty one of those I only heard--the Blue Jay!
There were also a pair of chatty Carolina Wrens, a pair of Cardinals, with a particularly curious female, and a trio of Black-capped Chickadees.
The male Cardinal is the most red of all birds. It is this red that, in fact, gives it its name! They are stunning creatures, but I think the female is lovelier than the male. She is not a one hue wonder, but wears a gown of many colors: taupe and tan, gray and white, cream and khaki and that brilliant orange beak.
Many birds find admirers among humans for their apparent faithfulness in coupling. And many birds do pair up for life. But many others don't; we just don't know them well enough to recognize their infidelity. And some find comfort in flock-mentality. Robins do. Have you ever noticed that? When I find one, watch, others will be nearby.
For me, two species in particular seem given over to the intercourse of many: Gold Finches and Black-capped Chickadees. Of late in my world when either appear in my yard, they are rarely in any significant numbers. Perhaps even just one. It's sad. On this day, I counted at least 3, but possibly 5 Chickadees together.
No comments:
Post a Comment