Thursday, July 26, 2018

Virginia Zoo's "World of Reptiles and Friends" (from July 16)

This would be the "feast de la resistance" of my reason for making this particular trip.  I love herpetariums, and this one promised to be state-of-the-art.  In keeping with modern trends at mid-sized/larger zoo's like this, they often extend their reach to include other species like birds and smaller mammals (including smaller primates).  This renovation promised all of that and more.  It also implied that by the fact that it was open, it was ALL open.  This sadly proved to be untrue.  Much of the square footage of the complex was either closed and still in process of being build and/or assembled or was still being assembled.  Of course, I'd already experienced so many wonderful things, but still I was disappointed. 

For such a modest entrance, you are richly reward inside.
What didn't disappoint me in the least was what is open.  It really is a wonderful, state-of-the-art facility with an amazing variety of species--many, if fact, that I have never encountered at other zoos.  I contented myself with the idea that what I didn't see is just a good reason to return again at some point in the future, right?

As well as loving zoos, you have no doubt figured out that I also love maps and plans and even architectural models. Just because I couldn't find a good complete floor plan for this complex didn't stop me from taking the three I was able to locate and using them, my photos and my memory to construct one of my own.  Disclaimer, this is my drawing and it may reflect minor inaccuracies as some things just weren't clear in any of the sources I was drawing upon.  Nevertheless, you do get a sense of the layout and proportions of things in conjunction with my photos.

Fiji Banded Iguana

Looking down the first corridor.

Smallwoods Anole

Green Tree Python

Giant Horned Lizard

Jeweled Lacerta

Plumed Basilisk

Monkey-tailed Skink

Emerald Boa

African Bullfrog

 One of too open labs where visitors can see what goes on behind the scenes.  This one is dedicated to hatching and raising reptiles.  The other features amphibians

Ethiopian Mountain Adder

 The marquee habitat in the herpetarium portion, home to the most endangered member of the crocodile genus and pair of female Siamese Crocodiles.  I presume there will some artificial insemination in their futures...

Siamese Crocodile

Aquatic reptile habbitats

Alligator Snapping Turtle

 From the venomous snake gallery an Aruba Rattlesnake--I bet they don't advertise these in the vacation brochures!  A section of large Reptile habitats was unfinished, but inhabited.  Can you see the animal in the one below?

Crocodile Monitor

Another unfinished habitat--can you see the animal here?  Of course, you can!

Reticulated Python

 The final curving corridor hosted a set of habitats that were home to four colorful species of Tree Monitors form Papua/New Guinea and Indonesia: Black, Green, Blue and Yellow!
Green Tree Monitors

Blue Tree Monitor.

So what did I miss?  Rather than tell you, I just annotated and marked my drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment