Friday, November 29, 2019

Arena Stage: Newsies

When I think about critiquing something, I generally approach the task with two perspectives.  The Plus which is to talk about what worked for me, and the Delta, to suggest things that could have been improved upon.  So lets start with the Deltas for Newsies at Arena Stage in DC.  [cue the sound of crickets]

There, that was easy!

Now, where to begin the pluses?  OMG, this is an amazing production.  After the opening number, I thought the audience was going to explode in a standing ovation.  Those who know me understand, I have a habit of releasing liquid from my eyes--NOT crying, just happy dripping.  At the end of the opening number, I even surprised myself when a liberated drop left the ridge of my cheek and plopped onto my sweater!  I spent much of the rest of the 2 and half hours doing my best to manage the drainage...

My seat was on the main aisle of the south face of the stage in the round.  The cast used all the aisles for entrances and exits and even to sing and deliver lines from.  At one point toward the end of the first act, the male lead sat down right next to me while the main action continued on the stage area proper.  I thought, cripes, I could literally turn and kiss him on the cheek.  The show had that sort of amazing intimacy throughout.

There wasn't a moment that didn't excite and delight.  Every number was beautifully choreographed.  I'm sure I can't recall ever seeing such powerful and amazing dancing in a show.  One that would have come close was Signature Theatre's 2017 production of "West Side Story"--and then I learned that it was also choreographed by Parker Esse.  Every man and woman had such acrobatic command of their bodies leaping, jumping, spinning and flipping across the stage.  But if that had been all, it would have just been a mini cirque du soleil.  The actors embraced their characters fully and ice the cake with beautiful pitch perfect voices.  Toss in simple, yet effective sets and gorgeous costumes and you have one of the most enjoyable productions I have ever seen in the DMV.














No comments:

Post a Comment