Saturday, December 29, 2018

Virginia Zoo: Okavango Delta, Part 1

After departing from the Asian animal area, I headed straight to the area of African habitats.  The wind continued to challenge me in keeping my hat on my head and the clouds were growing darker, fuller, more ominous in the prediction of rain.

Not as dense as the Trail of the Tiger habitats (which is not stingy in its design at all), the Okavango Delta exhibits predate the Asian animal exhibits and were the first radical departure for the Virginia Zoo from more traditional zoo design.  Here, great consideration was given to naturalistic design as well as sight lines.  Upon arriving I got my first real appreciation of the sight line aspect with a sudden, clear view of and beyond the shared space of the Hartmann's Mountain Zebras and the Watusi Cattle to the African Lions.  It had to be what the designer had intended the visitor to experience from his/her initial idea, and it felt amazing.  Imperfect, but still amazing.

Inspired by this moment, and having never seen the Lions but for the most fleeting of glances in previous visits, I totally bee-lined it for the Lion's habitat.  This move completely up-ended my exploration, as the African Lions are nominally at the end of the tour as it is most easily followed.  After the Lions you would walk through a faux rock canyon with other habitats embedded in the walls or cupped in curves along the path.  These are home to a variety of small mammals and reptiles.  By reversing the journey, I encountered species in this area before reaching the lions.  I did not stop and admire all of the options--the air was spitting rain.

But some of the animals just seemed to scream at me.  Demand my attention!

The first were the Slender-tailed Meerkats.  Not endangered, the Virginia Zoo is home to three males.  They are always up and ready to goof off for visitors--the most friendly Meerkats I have ever encountered.  How could I not stop? 

Just beyond lies the habitat of another pair of real charmers.  Sokatra and Malila are a pair of Radiated Tortoises.  Endangered in the wild, they are safe and well cared for here.  I can't tell which one is which, but it doesn't seem to matter.  They are both equally pretty.  No fighting, Loves!  There's enough lettuce for everyone.


Finally, on the cusp of reaching the African Lion habitat and one more canyon habitat caught my eye.  A glance at the Fennec Fox, Ghibli.  He was fast asleep.  Not surprising given the nocturnal nature of these lesser canines.
Then this: my first generous viewing of the African Lions.  Three African Lions call the Virginia Zoo home.  There habitat is generous and offers opportunities to explore the world on multiple levels with a large water feature that creates a natural buffer between them and the other animals within their viewing.  The Zoo's pride is modest.  A triad of male, female, and offspring.
Mramba is the Male.  He's a Lion with a sweet countenance and an atypical ruddy main.

Zola is the mature female.  A very content cat.


Emery is their sole offspring.  She is a curious, assertive lion.  I had the good fortune of meeting a keeper with experience with her.  She was very congenial, eager to answer my questions to my great delight.


The design also provides visitors with many access points from which to view the Lions without being invasive to their experience.  Another example of a state-of-the-art design that delivers what it promises.




No comments:

Post a Comment