Monday, April 2, 2018

Elmwood Park Zoo: View 1 of 6

Last week I visited the Elmwood Park Zoo in Norristown, Pennsylvania--a suburb to the west of Philadelphia near Valley Forge.  I knew that it's a member of the AZA (Association of Zoo's and Aquariums) a professional association that I have also joined to express my personal support for the concept of zoos.  I knew that it was a small zoo.  I knew that it mostly displayed animals from the North America, but also had Zebras and Giraffe.  Other than that, I really didn't know what to expect.

I arrived just as it opened, and got in for half price thanks to the Maryland Zoo membership and reciprocity agreements between the two.  The first thing you see when entering is an open exhibit for American Bald and Golden Eagles.  I guess that all of the birds much have their wings clipped in order to remain within the space.  All American Bald Eagles are supplied to zoos, aviaries, and parks for display purposes under the auspices of the U. S. Department of the Interior as no one may own an American Bald Eagle or profit in any way from it.  The later part of this law is not strictly enforced.

Adjacent to the eagles is a space for there African hoof-stock.  The zoo is home to three Reticulated Giraffe and 2 Hartmann's Mountain Zebra.  Of the four species of Zebra in North American Zoos, the Hartmann's Mountain species is the least common.  In fact, from my visits to zoos that span the continent from Seattle to Tampa and New Orleans to Chicago, this was my first encounter with this species.  The zoo is home to two 3-year-old females.  I can only imagine that procreation via the AZA SSP (Species Survival Program) is somehow in the works.  My only disappointment?  No unobstructed viewing opportunities.





The large area for the Reticulated Giraffe and Hartmann's Mountain Zebra, although it could use some serious seeding...  Other zoos with similar space (the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore) don't leave these animals to wander against a bare dirt turf.

 I once thought I had Zebra ID figured out and I do for the Grevy's Zebras, but the others are still confusing given the images that I take at various zoos.


No comments:

Post a Comment