Monday, September 9, 2019

Years of Living Theatrically, Thoughts of Entrepreneurialism

My recent attendance at a production of "1 Henry IV" at Folger's Shakespeare Theatre has given me pause to reflect.  It was the 125th play/musical that I have attended in the DMV (D.C. Maryland Virginia) scene in the past 5 seasons.  Like everything in my well examined life, I have kept a little database of the shows I attend, part of my habit of collecting things and then looking for connections and patterns.
I made this graphic to depict in a numerical and geographic way the essence of the data.  In this time I have seen many amazing productions of plays and musicals.  I have seen works by the greatest playwrights of yore and now.  Works expertly staged by the likes of Lillian Hellman, Arthur Miller, Tennessee Williams, Athol Fugard, Lorraine Hansberry, Paula Vogel, Edward Albee, Neil Simon... 6 works by Stephen Sondheim, 4 by August Wilson, and 12 by William Shakespeare.  My tastes are varied and generous.  Most of these have been locally inspired, but a few in venues like The Kennedy Center, The Warner Theater, and Strathmore Performing Arts Center have be national touring companies.

I have had the privilege of both being enthralled by and disappoint in some A-list actors like Marsha Mason, Kathleen Turner, Denis O'Hare, Debra Monk, Michael Urie, Maurice Hines, Marg Helgenberger, Whoopi Goldberg, Audra McDonald, and George Hamilton.  All of which has only taught me to appreciate the power and talent of a hundred actors you've never heard of like Ed Gero, Susan Rome, Sam Ludwig, Dawn Ursula, Kate Eastwood Norris, Nora Payton, Nilaja Sun, and Mitchell Hebert--each representing another dozen amazing talents.

I do hope that someone is marketing this region as a theatrical vacation destination.  Surely, it would be a wonderful enterprise.  Maybe this is my next iteration when teaching loses its enamor? 

First tier companies would include: Arena Stage*, Round House Theatre, Signature Theatre*, Everyman Theatre, Studio Theatre, Shakespeare Theatre Company and Olney Theatre Center.  *Denotes Tony Awards for Regional Theatres.  Most of these have complexes with Multiple stages.

Second tier companies would be midrange, more intimate and perhaps historic: Folger's Theatre, Ford's theatre, Keegan Irish Theatre, Mosaic Theatre, Woolly Mammoth Theatre, Theatre J.

Third tier companies go to niche and unique companies some of which perform in non-traditional venues: GALA Hispanic Theatre, Constellation Theatre, Synetic Theatre, 1st Stage Theatre, and one I have not attended yet (Next Stop Theatre in VA). 

It would be so easy to create tourist experiences with theatre packages around extended weekends.  Investors?  Call me! :P







No comments:

Post a Comment