Sunday, June 9, 2019

Volunteering @ The Maryland Zoo June

This time I volunteers at the Chimpanzee Forest location.  The lessons this month are all about animal locomotion.  The particulars of this lesson invite young guests to compare the physiology of three of the zoo's primates: Common Chimpanzees, Coquerel's Sifaka and Black & White Colobus.  At one point a little boy ran up to the table and I thought I recognized him, and then his father stepped up, and I recalled them both from two weeks past.  The little boy is autistic and we seem to have a good rapport.  After I showed him the artifacts and shared some ideas, he grew bored and moved his focus on. 

I said the father, "It's nice to see you again." 

He replied, "You, too."

I'd like to think he appreciates my patiences and intention toward his son.
 Views from the Table

One of the Black & White Colobus, Colobus guereza

No comments:

Post a Comment