Sunday, August 18, 2024

Philadelphia Zoo: Big Cat Country

 From the McNeil Aviary Center at the Philadelphia Zoo I went on a sort of "goose chase".  Heading south toward the end of the zoo, I hoped to see some the of the amazing animals that I had encountered there in the past: Cheetahs, Maned Wolves, Black and White Colobus Monkeys, American Bald Eagles.  It was an uphill slog as well, and so took a little effort on my part vis a vis my recent surgery.  Result?  Utter disappointment.  Colobus Monkeys and Maned Wolves are no longer there.  The Ground Hornbills that replaced the Maned Wolves and the Cheetahs were not out.  I had two heat-lethargic American Bald Eagles to look at...  The whole area felt like it was ripe for a complete redevelopment.  

Turning back around, I could at least be happy that it was downhill!

So I went to the final big ticket habitat: Big Cat Falls.  This is a collection of habitats with interior holding areas that are potentially home to five species: African Lions, Tigers, Pumas, Leopards and Snow Leopards.  Over the years and visits I have seen 4 or the 5.  I've never yet seen a snow leopard.  based on the limited information on the zoo's website, I am led to believe that they currently at least have Amur Tigers, African Lions and North American Pumas on site.  On this visit--not surprisingly--in the heat of midday, I only saw two.  A Tiger.  And a Lion.  There is never a reason to feel disappointed when you get to see a Tiger and Lion.
AMUR TIGER
Panthera tigris altaica
Conservation Status: Endangered




AFRICAN LION
Panthera leo
Conservation Status: Vulnerable

  

No comments:

Post a Comment