Sunday, August 20, 2023

Wilmington, DE: Brandywine Zoo

First off, I LOVE the Brandywine Zoo.  It's a small, scrappy little oasis of Species Survival.  Is it perfect?  Hardly.  I can think of a lot of low-cost upgrades.  But is it out of compliance with it's commitments to the AZA accreditation?  Not even.

In fact, it's trajectory is nothing short of Rocket Central.  And that is an amazing turn around for a zoo that was in crisis just over a decade ago.  At that time, one of the key species was an Amur Tiger.  The habit was adequate, but needed major repairs.  Then came a storm that destroyed the lesser primate habitats.  Then the AZA recommended that their tiger be moved to the Bronx Zoo for breeding purposes.  Then one of their North American River Otters died.   It was time for a rethink.  And they stepped up to the challenge.

In the short term, the foot print of the zoo was altered to better accommodate most of the species they had.  A master plan was developed to completely re-imagine the future of the zoo.  It prioritized the needs and created an exciting, new footprint.

What has happened since?  Lots of good stuff!


1) 3.5 million was spent to create a multi-species anchor habitat featuring: Helmeted Guinea Fowl, Radiated Tortoises, Ring-tailed Lemurs, White & Black Ruffed Lemurs and Crowned Lemurs.

2) Another multi-million $ Animal Wellness/Quarantine facility was built for animal welfare.

3) Upgrades were provided to most of the existing habitats: Andean Condor, Bobcat, North American Porcupine, etc.

4) Several new species have been introduced: Red Panda, Binturong, Howler Monkeys, Scarlet Ibis, Toco Toucan and Southern Pudu.

I know that animals who live a good zoos have choices.  I never visit a zoo expecting to see everything.  It's like walking in the woods: keep your eyes open and you'll see more than you expected.  With this in mind, and without any sign of the Southern Pudus which are featured on the Zoo's Website as a major calling card to visiting, I asked a keeper about their schedule.  She apologized and said, "Due to recent allergic reactions, the Southern Pudus are off exhibit for the near future and possibly until next spring.  

Okay, hold that thought.  And I'm thinking, WHAT THE FUCK.  Instead, I said, "Wow, I'm disappointed."

She said, "I'm sorry.  I think we will announce on the website when they will be back on exhibit."

I looked at her with intentional dumbfounded-ness.  I ask, "Really?  So why isn't the change in their presence announced on the website?  I visited the website before deciding to come and I drove up from Washington, DC."

"I am sorry," she said, "I don't know."

Did I over punctuate my disappointment?  I don't think so.  I made an emphasis designed to imprint a memory that will hopefully be shared at a time and in place that I can not access.  I hope my comments will inform the powers that be.

In the meantime, the Brandywine Zoo is home to wonderful birds and smaller mammals a few reptiles/amphibians.  

The Current Entrance above and the proposed new entrance below




The largest habitat is the first one you see.  It is home to a pair of Andean Condors.



A member of a little colony of burrowing owls.

One of a pair of Toco Toucans.  Not a common tropical bird.  They normally share their habitat with the Southern Pudu.

Two members of a beautiful little colony of Scarlet Ibis.  They share their habitat with pair each of White-faced Whistling Ducks, and a pair of Puna Teal Ducks.  The zoo's Capybara also lives here.

A larger aviary is at the apex of the zoo's far end containing Ravens, Snowy Egrets, a Sandhill Crane and a Bald Eagle.




Just below this aviary is the petting Goal Coral.  When it first opened in the place of the former North American River Otter habitat, it also contained a variety of Chicken breed.  However, these proved incompatible with human interaction, and then with the Avian Flu...they were removed.


The Capybara

A knot of Ring-tailed Lemur!  There are four animals in this bundle.

One of three White & Black Ruffed Lemurs chilling out.

On the way out--the same as the way in!

And the Bobcat is still sleeping! 

No comments:

Post a Comment