Saturday, December 10, 2022

Signature Theatre: Into The Woods

One of the signatures of a Sondheim Musical is it's ensemble.  The master loved to create a "community" on stage.  Be it a band of "Assassins" or the "Company" of disillusioned friends.  No where is this more true than with "Into The Woods".  The famed original cast is so storied among the pantheon of ensemble casts, that every production is judged by their standard.  To pull off a truly successful re-staging, the cast needs to find not simply a connection with their character, but within themselves their true north.  I've seen this done on stage now 5 times.  Only once before has it risen to the place of thrilling, and that was Fiasco Theatre of New York's re-imagining of the original.  Apparently, that version even delight Sondheim himself.  I have no doubt that if the master had seen this production, he would have once again been pleased by the imagination, cohesion, and clarity of this production.

Lets dispense with the basics.  The set was beautiful, imaginative, functional on multiple levels, and representative of the invasion of the woods into a world torn apart by a giant--a giant metaphor for the show writ large.  Hats off to Lee Savage!  The costumes were likewise an amalgamation of forms and motifs, suggestive--but also not literal; like the way people in dreams are dressed.  We know who they are just enough, but not so much that they are one-dimensional.  Bravo David I. Reynoso.  Finally, a word to the sound design.  It must be so rewarding to work within a space and with a system that allows you offer up the footsteps of a giant that resonate in the depths of one's solar plexus.  I was certain that if I could muster up the courage to look over my shoulder I would discover an angry, near-sighted giant towering over me!  Kudos to Eric Norris.

Okay, now, lets dive into the cast.  I have seen the lion-share of these amazing actors in over 50 productions in the past 8 years.  And to a person, their performances were fresh, original, compelling and just so freaking delightful!  I mean really.  I could spend 1,000 words praising all of them and still not get halfway through the list.  So, please allow me only to mention the few without detracting from any.

And I will begin with a total newcomer: David Merino.  David played Jack.  For the record, Jack is my favorite character, and the original performance by Ben Wright is such a perfect portrayal that I hold little hope for anything better let alone equal.  It thrills me to say the David is most definitely the exception to my skepticism.  He was full of a fresh exuberance.  Light-heart, sincere, captivating.  Next up is Nova Y. Payton's Witch.  While at times I thought, she is still working out the specifics, I never thought she's missed the mark.  She is one of the many DMV actor royalty, and with this one her crown is in no ways in question.  In so many other production, the portrayal of witch has failed.  Nova held the reigns with confidence, nuance and her powerful voice--ever ready to suck up all the dormant space like a tornado.

The Baker's Wife, Erin Weaver, is one of my favorite actors in the DMV.  I once bought a ticket to a show at Theatre J solely because she was in the cast.  She is quick, smart, expressive in a way that not simply brings a character to life, but makes it impossible to not embrace that character.  Thus was the Baker's wife.  Jake Loewenthal as the Baker was every bit--ever morsel--as compelling.  An actor who's in control of how his body tells a story, but more than that, a voice that is just as capable and powerful.  A voice that stood out against the others and left me wondering, given the chance, what limit would there be for him? 

Now I'm feeling guilty... By not mentioning other cast members like Alex De Bard's Little Red Riding Hood or Katie Mariko Murray's Cinderella--it is NOT a slight.  You were amazing, too!  Yet I will conclude with the duo that is the heart of all the comedic relief in this musical: the Princes.  Paul Scanlan played Rapunzel's Prince, and Vincent Kempski played both the Wolf and Cinderella's Prince.  I first saw Paul perform at Signature Theatre back in 2016 in the role of the son, Jean-Michel in "La Cage aux Folles".  It was a fine performance.  His take on Rapunzel's Prince?  Inspired!  In tune with every word and every movement, gallant, noble, a cad through and through.  It was like watching a strong college actor explode into the world of Broadway. 

As excellent as his portrayal was, Vincent Kempski's Cinderella's Prince was all of that an more.  Vincent was the clear crowd favorite.  I attended the performance with two friends, one of whom was the librarian at the school that Vincent attended back when he was just a skinny teenager wannabe.  She found his acting astounding.  This is the second performance of his that she and I have attended (the first was back in 2019 when he played the role of John Wilkes Booth in Signature Theatre's production of Sondheim's "Assassins").  He was amazing then, and we both agreed that he was amazing to the power of 3 today.  To watch him grow and become an actor who can enthrall an audience is a true thrill.

This show is on through the end of January.  I am seriously contemplating buying a ticket to its final performance on January 29th, which just happens to also by my birthday.  I know I will have to do it soon, before it sells out.  This is a show worth doing whatever you have to, to see.
Ensemble Cast

The Baker (Jake Loewenthal) and his Wife (Erin Weaver)

Jack (David Merino)

Little Red Riding Hood (Alex De Bard)

Lucinda (Chani Wereley), the Evil Step-Mother (Maria Rizzo) and Florinda (Adelina Mitchell)
Cinderella (Katie Mariko Murray)

Rapunzel's Prince (Paul Scanlan) and Cinderella's Prince (Vince Kampski)  Vince also portray the wolf.

Members of the cast realizing that the Giant is a Woman!

Rapunzel (Simone Brown)

It's the last midnight!  Nova Y. Payton as the Witch.

Ensemble ready to see how the story is told!  Chris Bloch center with book as the narrator.













No comments:

Post a Comment