Friday, January 17, 2020

Folger Theatre: Merry Wives of Windsor

How did I not know of this play until now!  Forsooth, it doth vex me mightily.  Of course I was aware of the fact that William Shakespeare wrote a play called "The Merry Wives of Windsor."  I just had no good idea what it was about or that it is a good as it is.  Truly hilarious.

As is the custom, this version chose a very non-Elizabethan setting and then dropped the characters with their 17th century dialogue into it giving us a chance to experience it a fresh.  Of course, having never seen it before, it would have been new to me anyways, and in my experience of this phenomenon, I have seen some regrettable flops.  For there part, Folger chose 1972 and a home that looked like an extension of the Brady's split-level ranch paradise.  The cast was festooned in tie-dye and caftans, in gaudy stripes and clunky heels.  And in one most notable seen two of the would be lovers, Fenton and Anne Page performed their scene on roller skates to great effect.

Regina Aquino (Mistress Page) and Ami Brabson (Mistress Ford)

The cast was slip between familiar faces and new ones.  Mistress Ford was played by Ami Brabson--Homocide: Life on the Street Geeks will know her as Officer Pembleton's wife, and in real like she is also married to Andre Braugher (officer Pembleton).  She was wonderful.  He was not in the house (it being opening night...I had sort of hoped...)  Opposite her was Mistress Page played by Regina Aquino whom I had seen in other roles on this stage and Eric Hissom played her befuddled and devoted husband, Ford.  Another familiar face in the DMV and this was perhaps his finest performance.  He rallied the audience to his side with his bumbling vengeance and dispirited pining at his wife's supposed infidelities.  At one point so many members of the audience released a sympathetic 'oooohhh' that it felt like a chorus.

Each actor was clearly encouraged to find their character's sweet spot and ride for all it was worth.  No one embraced this more passionately than Cody Nickell as the chivalrous Dr. Caius.  I've mention Nickell before for his chameleon like transformations, and this performance really sealed the deal for me--the man is amazing.  And in Kate Eastwood Norris, he has his match!  As Mistress Quickly, Norris was THE comic fulcrum.  Her every line, movement and pause calculated for maximum effect and laughs that engulfed the house.  I've seen her play King John--a very serious role and one she performed with chilling force; and now this?  My goodness!  I will see plays on the simple fact that she is in them, now.

Okay, Okay, I can here those of you know Shakespeare thinking, 'But what about Falstaff?  I thought the character of Falstaff was the central figure?'  And right you are.  Brain Mani embodied the role that many think of as Shakespeare's finest comedic character as the sly dog, self-deprecating, lascivious rogue you couldn't help but also fall in love with.  A sort of ornery teddy bear in tie dye!  Unlike many of the others, he was completely new to me and his previous credits were were centered around four professional theatre companies located in and around Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  The choice to also give him a definite Kenny Rogers Doppelganger look was just one of many acts of genius. 

In truth, I could speak well of every member of this ensemble and will conclude with honorable mentions to Todd Scofield as Sir Hugh Evans, Tommy A Gomez as Justice Shallow, Brian Reisman as Abraham Slender and Derrick Truby as Simple.

The play opened, first act ended, and finale were all "up with people" song and dance numbers that were so much fun for cast and audience alike.  Before the show and all through intermission a faux radio station broadcast period songs with audio from iconic commercials and apropos news, traffic and weather reports.  When the commercial for "Coco Pebbles" came on, I swear to you, the din in the audience lessened because people wanted to listen to it. 

I waited to post this review in order to give the Folger Shakespeare Theatre time to take post the press photos.  I'm glad that I did.  I think you can see in these images just how much fun this production was..and is until March 1st.  This is also the last show of this season and the last one in this beloved theater space as it is.  The Folger is closing down  for the next 18 months in order to undertake a major renovation that will add space to the library, alter the facade along the north entrance and upgrade the theatre space itself.  I hope that when its done, it's better, but I will miss this space as it is.

Brian Mani (Falstaff) and Danielle Gallo (Pistol)

Kate Eastwood Norris (Mistress Quickly) and Brian Mani
Brian Reisman (Abraham Slender) and Linda Bard (Anne Page)

No comments:

Post a Comment